Sunday, March 20, 2011

Exuberance of Youth - Amazing

Today's concert is really like an eye-opener to the kind of talents we have. Esp. the conductors, amazing to conduct SCO yah?




Think of the stories you often hear from your teachers about how they 'ill-treated' the guest conductors, esp. young and not-so-famous ones. I'm sure you will feel jittery if you are told that you will be conducting them. I'd be praying that they treat me okay (not even asking for 'well'). I think the 2 conductors are awesome tonight! I vividly remember the first time I saw Moses conduct. It was NASCO concert. Remembered that it was at Kallang Theatre (how many of you actually watched a concert there before omg). I was still in lower sec, going to all the concerts that I can, it was a 'in' thing to attend all the school concerts (probably they are much cheaper too). Esp. these big name schools. And he was cool because there weren't many student conductors around which are able to get themselves to conduct during a concert like that. Yup, and today, it was great pleasure to be there to see. He has his charisma on the stage, giving all he has on the stage. But it's probably because he is only conducting one song out of the whole concert. If he could do that for a full length concert and not get a good arm-ache, I would really have to say kudos to him. It will be amazing. But the opening of the song, I would say, wasn't really together, something is just not there and I can't really name it. Probably the lack of 默契 between the musicians and him. Anyhows a great song for opening the concert definitely.

The other guest conductor Kahchun Wong was great! And the orchestra was playing his composition! How cool! His composition was good too! Very scenic. You could imagine what had happened with the progress of the song. Well-written definitely.

Soloists were wow! I've seen Qinkai performed back when he was in NASCO too. Probably the same concert as Moses. haha! We are kind of from the same era, however, they are so so much better right from the start. His 音色 was really good, can really control well at all the different positions. Impressed. Even more impressed when he remembered my name. We are more of like acquaintances since we don't really know each other, probably more of through the NAFA people (I lunched with them before). But I really didn't expect him to get my name. Well, great effort I say. :)

Woohoo, Tabla player was cool I must say. I've tried the different drums while doing History of Music, it was so difficult. Your fingers must really be powerful and you have to know exactly where on the drum to hit to get the sound you want, the resonance you get when you use different part of your hand to hit on different part of the drum. And with experience playing with the Indian musicians in one of the NUSCO concerts, I know how exactly they operate. Even the tuning of the instrument looks cool. And best, they dun even need the scores, or rather, do not have a set of written scores at all. Probably just a set of simple notation. And Indian music is all about improvisation, which is what I have to praise. Every single time they play the same cadenza, it is different. (But they can forever don't stop lah. haha). I remembered the violin soloist played longer and longer each and every time we rehearsed. Till the concert time, he really couldn't stop and I think even I got bored and Mr. Lum was also very uncertain when he's supposed to get the orchestra ready. LOL. And that time, Zhu Lin laoshi really lost out because he written his cadenza and there was very little improvisation we could do. The constraints on classical music player. Okay, back to the soloist, his improvisation was great, with a lot of flavor and his fingers are damn fast please. Our eyes all almost dropped at the sight. Cool for sure!

It's been long I hear De Li solo. Better than I've expected. Haha. Sorry to be slightly mean here. But I didn't expect his 音色 to be like that. Kind of different from my impression of his playing. Seriously it was good. But i guess if the 快板 was slightly faster and better co-ordination between the orchestra and the soloist it would be much better.

And Chengwei's composition was so nice can! They should let the youths play some youths' composition. HAHA But I think we wouldn't be able to play well I think, given our kind of standard. =X

The sad thing is, there's no female youth talent! Aww.. We got to work harder fellow ladies! Haha. 

Well well, great concert! I'm glad I went. :) Looking forward to more concerts although I'm afraid I can't go for the important one. Maybe it's just fate. We will see what we can do.

No comments: