Saturday, March 12, 2011

难以抉择 1 - 不开心的事

Today is the day i really felt like strangling my student. I really felt like asking him to get out of my class. I would have done that if he's my private student. Seriously. If the student don't see the need to listen and learn, then what for I waste all my energy after the already long day at work?

I take teaching as a passion and something I like to do. I'm happy when I see the kids learn and are able to play a song properly. However, I don't know if I'm just really that unlucky to get students of such. The 2 that were gone are also like that! I seriously don't know if it's just the kids nowadays or is it me.

So to speak the truth, I was really very disheartened when the kid treated the lesson like that. Although I'm sure he's rather scared after I flare up and didn't want to talk to him. He quieten down and immediately played better though not fantastic. I had no choice but to tell his mother about that. And I really felt better, it's like at least a 交待 to the parents about what is going on in the class. I would very much like his parents to sit in the class. But it wouldn't be a long term solution. And kids tend to hate this kind of things to happen?

Nowadays kids are just getting smarter and smarter, which leads to cheekier and naughtier too. Or is it just my students? 4 out of 5 are like that! So kudos to primary school teachers. Luckily I didn't go for the NIE primary school teacher interview (I may not get it as well). I remembered when I go and learn violin last time, I didn't even dare to talk back or defy my teacher. I don't even dared to talk to my teacher unless he asked. And strict training means strict training. I didn't like it 100% but i learned well! Like what are the kids doing today?

Even the quiet student doesn't register whatever I say. Many times, I told him that if he reaches earlier than me, take out his violin to practise! And I only think it's logical because to speak the truth, I don't think any of the students are able to fork out the time to practise at home everyday. So I'm already giving some chance to self-practise and get a little more recollection before the lesson starts. And I told them straight, they don't practise enough at home, so might as well use the time to quickly take out violin and start practising! I remember that's what I always do for my lessons whenever I didn't practise well enough. I would pray that my teacher doesn't come into the room so soon so that i have more time to warm up and look at the notes again. Then my student, every week I go into the room, he will just be sitting there doing nothing. Why ah?

Then 15min into the lesson or less, you can see signs of student showing tiredness, keep hinting through the painful sound, and can't wait to keep. Naughty one will just start talking, start playing a fool, and start pressing the piano. (I never ever touched my teacher's piano when he's around unless to tune). And keep wanting to sit down! Why do I meet such monsters?

I nearly cried in front of my student. Too stress I think, and I was thinking of something else also. But perhaps he'd be scared at the sight and start to listen to me? I don't know. But I don't want to take the risk.

And these students are the very reason why I'd rather give up the income from teaching and the joy to teach, compared to SYCO. If only they knew how to appreciate the effort. Plus, I don't stay in Yishun, rather, not even anywhere near, and I've been going there faithfully to teach all those demons. But every time I felt so drained from the lessons I think they are not worth it. But i know that SY is the place that eventually I will have to let go, so it's just a dilemma altogether. But the thing is if I continue to stay like that, I will never be able to progress well enough for both the CO and my own lessons. I feel guilty for not playing every time I go to lesson. Why don't my students feel that? :(

OMG HOW?

No comments: